Thursday, April 21, 2011

Splinters & Threads Asks a Crafter: Birthday Crown from TK Harrison

First, let me thank Gina Reddin of Splinters & Threads for asking me to start off as her "Thursday Ask a Crafter" guest blogger. My name is Tammy Harrison and my website is BOMquilts.com and my blog is Quilt Therapy!

A couple of years ago, I found out I shared a birthday with a sweet little girl at church and we decided that we needed to celebrate our birthdays together - and my job was to find a way for a kindergartner and a middle-aged woman to come together to find the joy of our special days.

I went into my sewing room and searched high and low for items that would be fun for my little friend and "adult" enough (well, as adult as I care to be) to be presentable in church.

I came up with birthday crowns for the two of us. I used Peltex, Wonder Under, quilt fabric, a template made from cardboard, some scrapbooking heart-shaped brads and some sticker foam letters. Once I cut two pieces of fabric with Wonder Under ironed on the back, then I cut out the template from the Peltex and pressed both sides of the fabric to the front and back of the Peltex. Once pressed, I used my sewing machine to zig-zag around all of the edges. I finished off the crowns with the "Happy Birthday" letters and the heart-shaped brads.


I made my crown (shown above) and then made a smaller one for my wee friend. The really fun thing is that my three daughters have enjoyed wearing the crown for their birthdays, too! It's become a family tradition at our family parties as well as something special for me and my little friend in August when we worship together.

Do you have a craft you have designed and made? If so, please submit it for consideration as a Splinters & Threads guest blogger to gina.reddin@gmail.com.





No comments: