Monday, January 23, 2012

Embroidery and Chopsticks!?

By Mary Corbet at Needle 'n Thread.com

No, no. We are not embroidering with chopsticks. But we are embroidering in the company of chopsticks. And I don’t mean that annoying piano piece we all learned as kids – you know, the one that can effectively drive even the most resilient person nuts in a matter of seconds?
I really do mean chopsticks, as in Asian eating instruments.



Using chopsticks to tighten a slate frame
This is a solution that’s often used in Japanese embroidery when you need just a bit of extra tension – inserting a stick or a chopstick where needed, to add extra tension.


Using chopsticks to tighten a slate frame
By inserting the chopsticks between the lacing and the side slats on the slate frame, I was able to get just that tiny bit of tension that I needed, and that I couldn’t get from adjusting the lacing because there was no room to pull the fabric closer to the slats. It worked really well!
And I discovered something else. When you just need a touch more tension, it’s much easier to insert a chopstick than it is to untie and tighten up the laces on the frame. It almost feels like cheating.
And I bet if I had to, I could insert two chopsticks. Or three! Or the whole set!

Next time you need a tad of tension on your slate frame – try a chopstick!

No comments: